Yes, it’s cliche to do chocolate for February’s muffin, but with the addition of coffee, who wouldn’t love February’s Muffin du Mois, Mocha Chocolate Chip.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
1 1/2 tbsps instant coffee (I like to use the Starbucks Via single serve packets – I used two packets for this recipe)
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs (room temperature)
- Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 375 F.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
- Combine your instant coffee with your yogurt; set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar with electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add yogurt until combined.
- Gently fold in your dry ingredients (a cup at a time) until a smooth, thick batter just forms; Add chocolate chips. DO NOT over beat your batter – this will make your muffins tough and you don’t want tough muffins!
- Use medium ice cream scoop to divide batter evenly among cups. Bake until muffins are golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Set on wire rack to cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Serve warm.
The Mason Cottage, A Cape May Bed and Breakfast, offers guests a full gourmet breakfast each morning.