Yes, it’s cliche to do chocolate for February’s muffin, but with the addition of coffee, who wouldn’t loveFebruary’s Muffin du Mois, Mocha Chocolate Chip.
The addition of yogurt makes this muffin extra moist
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
1 1/2 tbsps instant coffee (I like to use the Starbucks Via single serve packets – I used two packets for this recipe)
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs (room temperature)
Ingredients for your Mocha Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 375 F.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
- Combine your instant coffee with your yogurt; set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar with electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add yogurt until combined.
- Gently fold in your dry ingredients (a cup at a time) until a smooth, thick batter just forms; Add chocolate chips. DO NOT over beat your batter – this will make your muffins tough and you don’t want tough muffins!
- Use medium ice cream scoop to divide batter evenly among cups. Bake until muffins are golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Set on wire rack to cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Room temperature eggs beat up fuller and tend to make baked goods rise better
Using an ice cream scoop will keep all your muffins a uniform size
We hope you enjoy your Mocha Chocolate Chip Muffins – Courtesy of the MasonCottage, Cape May Bed and Breakfast
The MasonCottage, A Cape May Bed and Breakfast, offers guests a full gourmet breakfast each morning.